This tempeh satay is a vegan version of the traditional Thai chicken satay. It is a delicious dish, especially if you accompany it with peanut sauce. And after the peanut sauce recipe , comes the tempeh satay recipe . As I told you in the previous post, the first thing I ate when I got to Southeast Asia was a tempeh satay burger with peanut sauce and I wanted to prepare something similar for the blog, although in the end I preferred to make a version more similar to chicken satay (which is the original recipe), using tempeh instead of chicken.
At first the tempeh did not convince me, but now I adore it. Here in Spain some brands are rich, but others not so rich (they taste too strong and too bitter). Bitterness can be removed by boiling tempeh, but when we were in Asia it was on another level. It was not bitter at all, it was much more tender and incredibly delicious, especially in Indonesia (as I understand it is originally from there).
Tempeh in Spain is expensive and it is not always easy to find (they usually sell it in herbalists), so if you want you can try the recipe using tofu or even seitan, it is not the same, but it is also very rich.
The Best Vegan Tempeh Satay Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Thai
- 1/3 cup coconut milk ( 90 ml)
- 1/4 cup of water ( 65 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Medjool date
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- Pour all the marinade ingredients into a blender , beat until well combined, and toss in a bowl or container.
- Chop the tempeh and put it in the bowl or container of the marinade, stir and store in the covered fridge for at least 1 or 2 hours, better overnight.
- You can cook the tempeh as is or make skewers using wooden or metal sticks.
- Cook the tempeh on the grill, on the grill or in a pan (I used a grill ) with or without oil for about 5 or 10 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with peanut sauce or your favorite sauce. You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 4-5
- Calories: 113kcal
- Carbohydrates: 8.7 g
- Protein: 8.8 g
Keywords: Vegan Tempeh Satay