Vegan Kale Pesto, made with cooked kale and walnuts instead of raw basil and pine nuts. It is ready in 15 minutes and has a spectacular flavor. Who doesn’t love pesto? I would add it to everything and I could even eat it by the spoonful. We have several versions on the blog and I like them all so much that I couldn’t choose just one.
In all the pesto recipes that we have prepared so far we have always used raw green leaves such as basil or spinach, but to make this vegan kale pesto we have risked using cooked kale and it has been spectacular.
The traditional recipe is made with basil and pine nuts, but the kale is in season and when eaten cooked it is more digestive and tender. Pine nuts are quite expensive, so we usually use other nuts because it is also very delicious.
Although the pesto is made with oil, I personally like to add a little water to it, so I reduce the amount of fat in the recipe and it also looks amazing, what happens is that it lasts a little less in the fridge, but for us It is not a problem because we like it so much that it ends quickly.
The Best Vegan Kale Pesto Recipes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Italian
- 115 g kale ( 4 oz )
- 1/4 cup walnuts ( 30 g )
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or beer ( 4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil ( 4 tablespoons), see notes for an oil-free option
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Cook the kale or steam it for about 5 minutes, pour in cold water and drain it with your hands to remove excess water.
- Pour all the ingredients into a food processor and beat until well combined. The amount of oil can vary depending on how thick you want the pesto. I like to add a little water so that it does not have as much fat, but it is richer if only oil is used and it also lasts longer.
- You can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup (190 ml) or about 12 scoops
- Calories: 68kcal
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 55 mg
- Fat: 6.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
Keywords: Vegan Kale Pesto