Baked zucchini sticks are a delicious starter or snack served with hummus or any sauce, although they can also be taken as a garnish. Who doesn’t like potato chips? They have always been one of my favorite foods and potatoes in general were my favorite hydrate along with bread before I went vegan.
Some time ago I made “fried potatoes” in the oven and the truth is that they were very good. They are not as tasty, but they are lighter and healthier. Since then I have tried to make similar recipes with other ingredients such as sweet potatoes , avocado and now it is the turn of the zucchini.
The original recipe is usually made with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, but mine is gluten-free and even simpler because you only need vegan Parmesan cheese .
Crushed nuts are a great way to replace breadcrumbs if you’re looking for a gluten-free alternative. Almond flour works very well and is very practical because it can be bought ready-made, although the good thing about Parmesan is that it gives it a very rich flavor.
The Best Crispy Baked Zucchini Sticks
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 2 large zucchini
- Vegan Parmesan cheese (all the amount that comes from making our recipe)
- 1/4 cup dried oregano ( 4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup vegetable milk ( 65 ml or 4 tablespoons), I used soy milk
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC or 425ºF.
- Chop the zucchini like french fries.
- Mix Parmesan, oregano and pepper on a plate. Pour the milk into a deep plate.
- To coat the zucchini sticks, first dip them in milk and then in the Parmesan, oregano and pepper mixture until completely covered.
- Bake the sticks on a parchment paper pan for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sauce (I love it with hummus ) or store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Instead of oregano you can use any other dry herb or even skip this ingredient.
- Add your favorite spices.
- You can also fry the sticks until golden brown if you don’t want to use the oven.
- Serving Size: 1-8
- Calories: 168kcal
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 250 mg
- Fat: 9.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.4 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 9.3 g