This vegan meatloaf is perfect as a main course, is gluten-free and can be eaten hot or cold. It is ideal for celebrations. I’ve never been a big fan of the classic meatloaf, but I love this vegan meatloaf.
The traditional recipe is usually made with minced meat, breadcrumbs and spices and a sauce is added on top. Instead of meat I have used legumes and for a gluten-free recipe I have used nutritional or beer yeast instead of breadcrumbs.
You can prepare the meatloaf in two ways, using a mold or shaping it with your hands, although I prefer to use one of 23 x 13 cm (any other rectangular mold works). If you do not have it, you can give it a rectangular shape and so you save buying it. You can eat this vegan meatloaf accompanied by vegan mashed potatoes , with vegan gravy and enjoy a totally American meal.
- Line the pan with baking paper before adding the dough so that it does not stick.
- If you don’t have a rectangular mold, you can shape it with your hands.
- Mash the chickpeas and beans with the help of a potato masher.
- To make the vegan meatloaf, you can toss all of the dough ingredients into a food processor and beat well until well combined, although I prefer a thicker texture.
- The tahini can be replaced by another nut butter or oil, although in that case shows less because oil is more fluid and has more fat.
- You can substitute tamari or soy sauce for salt and add more milk if necessary.
Best-Ever Vegan Meat Loaf Recipes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- 1 cup canned or cooked chickpeas ( 170 g )
- 1 cup canned or cooked red beans ( 170 g )
- 1 cup ground flaxseeds ( 120 g )
- 1 cup nutritional yeast or beer ( 70 g )
- 1/2 cup of tahini ( 120 g )
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce ( 65 ml)
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened vegetable milk ( 65 ml), we use soy milk
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup of ketchup ( 150 g )
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar or coconut or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoonful of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or 350ºF.
- Put the chickpeas and beans in a bowl and mash them with the help of a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until obtaining a homogeneous mass.
- Pour the dough into the 23 x 13 cm mold and press it with the help of a spoon or your hands.
- To make the sauce, you just have to mix all the ingredients in a bowl until they are well integrated.
- Cover the cake with the sauce and bake for about 50 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before unmolding it.
- You can store the vegan meatloaf in the fridge in a closed container for about 5 days.
- Serving Size: 8-10
- Calories: 231kcal
Keywords: Vegan Meat Loaf